New Face To Track and Field

There is a new face on the track at Lake Braddock, and her name is Coach Ivy Jordan. Jordan has previously coached Annandale High School Track, and now works here at Lake Braddock. The track season has just started, so track runners do not know much about her yet. The runners have not had a lot of time to work with her, especially because there are eight other coaches and assistant coaches. Runners have briefly talked with Jordan, but there is a lot to learn about her.
When she was in high school and college, Jordan participated in her school’s track team.
“In high school, my events were the 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 4×800 and 4×400 relays,” Jordan said.
She participated in sprints, middle distance and relays. In college, she participated in some of the longer track and field events, including the steeplechase. Since Jordan did so much running when she was in school, the runners that have worked with say that she is good at what she does.
“She seems really nice and really good at what she does.” junior Kylie Finnegan said.
Because there are so many members on the track and the cross country team, it can be hard for coaches to be able to spend one-on-one time with each runner. This can also make it hard for new coaches to get to know their runners if they need to be helping a huge group of kids.
So far, Jordan said she has enjoyed her time here at Lake Braddock. She said she really enjoys getting to know the students and the rest of the staff.
“It’s been an awesome experience so far here at Lake Braddock,” Jordan said.
She said she is also grateful for the fact that many runners have come and introduced themselves to her, so she can get to know them a little bit better.
She is also a physical therapist. Physical therapists, or PTs, can help runners with injuries. It could be very helpful to the runners if they were injured in the middle of a race, or just at practice, and needed immediate aid.
Jordan said she enjoys coaching because she likes to see the runners get better and better each year, in running and in character.
“It’s really fun to see the athletes progress and mature in their track and field performances as well as their personal character,” Jordan said.
Jordan said she loves when she can see the runners understand the sport more, and who they are, because they can take that with them after they graduate high school.